Workshops & Classes
We offer full day workshops and ongoing classes. Each workshop and group class is exclusively capped at 7 people so everyone can get the individual attention they need. All courses are booked on a first-come, first-served basis so please register early to secure your spot. Also, personalized private classes are available, along with our personalized creative coaching programs.
Full Day Workshop
Saturday, October 14th
Full Day Workshop - Central Park
10am* – 6pm
Join professional photographer, Thomas Donley, on a photographic vision quest. Take a big leap forward with how you relate to your camera and to what is available for you, both creatively and personally. Explore how photography can enhance how you see and experience your world. Incite your creativity!
This will be an exclusive, small gathering of 3-7 participants, for greater attention to and interactivity with each person present.
At it's core, this workshop is about intentionally seeing. This starts with becoming aware of and being in synch with the immediacy of our senses in relationship to what we choose to see. In this process, we allow ourselves to become our own best sensor as a photographer. After all, it our own built-in senses that trip the camera's sensors. Candid photography is dependent upon these principles for capturing that ‘decisive moment.’
- Hands-on shooting
- Probing dialogues on creativity and perception
- A review of the basics of photography
- Engaging in a few shamanic journeys (think: meditation to a drumbeat, and also think: get out of your head and into your senses)
Participants will be guided into deepening their relationship with their camera and how they see their world; gaining tools and a new awareness of creative choices; discovering aspects about one’s own creative path; and exploring the vital role one's own senses/sensors play in 'capturing the moment.'
What to bring...
- A camera - any camera, preferably one that you are familiar with. Bring your camera’s manual (or know how to access it digitally) if at all possible, including if you choose to use your iPhone;
- Photos of yours (or others) that you like and/or that you wish expressed more in some way.
- A notebook/pen;
- anything you may need to be outside and shoot;
- Blanket or towel to sit on, as well as, to lay on for the journeys
- Food or snacks, as we will be in the middle of Central Park all day
Finally, bring your adventuresome spirits of discovery to spend the time we have together to Journey Through the Viewfinder and renew your vision.
THOMAS DONLEY has been a professional photographer for over 20 years. He has done projects and assignments for publications including The New York Times, Time Out NY and Life Magazine. Along with being a working photographer, he is currently serving as President of the American Society of Media Photographers NY (ASMPNY), the premiere trade organization for photographers in the U.S. He was also Co-Founder of the NY Shamanic Circle back in 1997 and co-led the organization for 15 years, which included hosting shaman & medicine people from around the world teaching their wisdom.
All are weclome, though, this workshop is geared toward the Beginner & Intermediate level photographer.
This will be an exclusive, small gathering for greater attention to and interactivity with each participant in this workshop. Attendance for this event has a 3 participant minimum with a 7 participant maximum.
- Early-bird Rate (by 10/10): $175
- ASMP Early-bird Rate (by 10/10, with member#): $150
- NYSC Community Member Early-bird Rate (by 10/10): $150
(*Meeting at 9:30am at the Columbus Circle entrance to the Park)
5-week Course Coming Soon!
The five-session course will be based on the version of the full-day workshop "Journey Through the Viewfinder." (Please read the description for the workshop to get solid sense of the scope of this course.) It is a similar creative exploration, with the added benefits of additional time.
What to bring:
- ·Bring a camera (any camera, preferably one that you are familiar with -- if not familiar, bring your camera’s manual if at all possible);
- Bring photos of yours that you like and/or that you wish expressed more in some way.
- a notebook/pen;
Finally, as always, please bring your adventuresome spirits of discovery to spend the time we have together to Journey Through the Viewfinder and renewing your vision.
Details to be announced
Here, we address your photographic path completely, One-to-one dialogue and photographic exploration crafted from what you're focused upon.
To find out more...